Friday, August 26, 2005

Final post from Jesus College

Man. Has it already been 6 weeks? It seems like almost yesterday that Brian and Maureen picked me up at Heathrow.

But I'm going to bed in a few minutes. And I'll get up at 7 or 8am tomorrow, and head out to Heathrow again. Its a 6 or 8 hour flight back to Pearson in Toronto.

I'm going to miss England. I'm going to miss it a lot. This country has become home to me. Its been kind, and generous. I've met no rude people. Everyone's been friendly and welcoming. I've even managed to affect an accent, which I'm told is very similar to a Sussex accent.

I've had quite the travels here. London every weekend, up into Lancashire for one of the most relaxing holidays of all time, and even my studies here in Oxford have been magnificent. I've been to three great Barbelith gatherings, a full weekend Camarilla event as well as another one day set of two games.

I've gone to museums, and travelled cities. I've learned to navigate the Underground, and I've put together a mental map of Oxford. Hell, I even frequented a pub and gaming store at least a couple times a week. The Chinese take away place down the street got to know me by sight and knew that I liked carrots and bean sprouts in my special fried rice. Hell, even the bartender down at the Eagle got to recognize me.

There have been slight displeasures. The rest of the people on this trip have been, largely, insufferable. They're mostly the sort of people I left behind in high school...who are strangley older than me.

But other than that, its been great. I love England. I will return some day. You can count on that.

I also have nearly a gigabyte of pictures. Well, 800 megs or so. Its kind of sick. But I have a lot of pictures to remember things by, as well as souvenier books, a new top hat, a new cane...yeah. The pictures are the big thing, though. Everything else is just the icing on the cake.

Now its time to go take a shower and go to bed. Final packing once I get up tomorrow (just one or two things that are really last minute pieces). The next post I make will be from home.

Rule Britannia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home