Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Incredibles

Dear god...I'm speechless.

The movie was FANTASTIC (he said, avoiding the obvious pun). I won't give spoilers, but suffice to say that it was one of the best animated superhero movies I've seen in quite a long time. It certainly ranks up there as my favourite Pixar movie.

The costumes were great, and there was a lot of characterization. You really get to know the characters quite well, and no one really ends up lacking in personality. THe power effects were fun (there's nothing like watching an overweight brick bounce as he fights something), and the characters were nicely put together. Violet's voice took a bit of getting used to, it's very low and nasal and kind of grates a bit, but it really comes off well.

The villains...Bomb Voyage? Mimes are scary enough...but mimes that blow things up? Gah! And the main villain...the only thing I have to say is that they ripped off a science-hero I'd played a while back named Captain Orion, who's bracers could do pretty much the same thing that Syndrome's gauntlets did, right up the the explanation of their power source as "zero point energy". All very nice.

Finally, or perhaps first, the film has once again had the return of the animated short, which in this was a short musical number involving a sheep, some gophers, and a jack-a-lope. It was humorous, really, though the jack-a-lope's tail looked a bit more like a furry fin on his back. And still, no animated short can compare with "Attack of the Chub-Chubs" from Men In Black II.

This movie has made my brain percolate. I'm going to be thinking weird, mundane superhero stuff for the rest of the day...gah, I wish I had full run of my comics collection right now. I really want to re-read Top Ten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home