Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Romantic Musings 2

I’m really getting into the prose part of the course. Looking at the reading list there isn’t a lot of it, but there is some pretty damn nifty stuff. Coleridge’s Biographia Literaria isn’t overly interesting…but Paine’s Rights of Man.

“There never did, there never will, and there never can exist a parliament, or any description of men, or any generation of men, in any country, possessed of the right or the power of binding and controuling posterity to the ‘end of time’, or of commanding for ever how the world shall be governed, or shall govern it.”

THAT is the kind of language that spawned things like The Declaration of Independence. Which, I have to say, is some of the best writing to come out of the American government since…well aside from Kennedy’s Rice Stadium moon speech, its about the only American government document I really like. Its WORTH reading, just for the language.

I just love the language used here. Its got this poetic feel to its formality, it flows and it really speaks to the modern ideals we have today. It just…I dunno. I like the sound of it.