Saturday, May 29, 2010

Script complete!

Five thousand words later, the first script for Warning! Readers Advisory! is complete.

Having played around with both my cameras, and being resolved to buy an actual video camera this summer (as opposed to just the digital cameras I'm using right now), I think I should be ready for filming this week.

My biggest thing is blocking out the script now that its written. I'm pretty spontaneous physically, and I don't think I've done a single Epic Background Fail in the last year that worked off more than the most vague framework of a script (though I edit the EBFs pretty heavily prior to posting them over on Archive.org, removing my tendency to use the words "uh", "um", "well", "yeah", and "see"), so doing this via a full script is a bit new to me.

Predicted play time for the review should be about 20-25 minutes, mainly due to adding a few minutes worth of scattered video clips to spice things up. I'm going to just use what I've got right now for the first review and see what response is from that, then refine my technique.

The big thing that I'm going to be avoiding doing in the future is blow-by-blow accounts of the plot of the books. I'm doing that somewhat with the Jon Shannow novels just to capture the sheer wackiness of their design, but hopefully with book series like Anita Blake, Elric, and Chronicles of Chaos I'll be able to do more of a prospectus of the lines as a whole rather than individual books. Play up key plot points, etc. Those reviews should hopefully be more around the 15-20 minute range, moving more towards the 15 if I can keep them nice and tight.

Folks who have heard my stuff in the past know that I talk fast. Not all of that is video editing, although if I don't practice at least somewhat I tend to have a lot of pauses between sentences. Not quite Shatner-style, but I really need to kick my spontaneity gland back into overdrive for this stuff and get my pacing back in line.

I realize I'm talking about stuff-to-come a lot, but I admit that a lot of that is due to wanting to drive myself forward. I find writing public to be freeing...it forces me to do what I say I'm going to do, and that gives me focus. Lets me push forward.

In the spirit of public announcements, The Black Library is taking submissions until the end of July. Y'know what? I think I'm going to submit something. First three chapters (minimum 10k, the way I block out chapters probably more like 15), six page chapter breakdown, and a 1000 word plot synopsis. I can do that. I'm going to do it. I may not have a great shot, but I am filled with confirmation from Karl that I can, in fact, write. So I'm gonna go give it a shot!

Well, that's about it for today. Video forthcoming (I'll post the opening credits first so people can at least have something pretty to see, shooting for those will occur this week), work on book forthcoming. I guess my submission will cut into my writing time for Bored Immortal Seeks Same and my editting of Requiem for a Fictonaut, but I really want to get this done and in.

And that is all. I'm done.

Excelsior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home