Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Fantastic Falacies

Far be it for me to insult a movie that my family actually knows someone involved with, but I have my doubts about the new Fantastic Four movie, set for release on July 4th (who didn't see THAT coming?).

These doubts center around things like:
-complete lack of dialogue in the trailer, except for "You know that looked cool" (a phrase bound to make me want to get the tire iron)
-the fact that the Thing looks like he was dressed in papermache...or possibly some nasty skin disease
-Jessica Alba and the guy playing Johnny Storm look NOTHING alike. I mean, even less alike than in the comics.

They do, however, appear to be using Ellis' portrayel of Doctor Doom as done in Ultimate Fantastic Four...well, y'know, except this one has electrical powers rather than being able to vomit poison gas (which was a nice touch). I hope for some degree of super-science.

Also of note, to further pay tribute to Ellis (well, more to John Cassaday), Jessica Alba in her pre-superpowers costume looks more like Kim Suskind from Planetary than Sue Storm.

On the upside, Mr. Fantastic's effects look nice. But then again, I can make a photo of Mr. Fantastic easily enough with Photoshop and the Smudge tool.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can accept a lack of dialogue in the trailer. If the studio wants to market it as an action movie because they don't know how else to market it, that's fine with me. It's if it really -is- an action movie that I'll be annoyed.

Aside from that, I was so outrageously repulsed by the Thing's plastic-looking body and Doom's plastic-looking armor that I had to turn away.

Of course, it it sucks, well, no big deal. I mean, we already had a great Fantastic Four movie. It was called "The Incredibles."

6:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. That was me.

- jason

6:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home