Sunday, January 30, 2005

Jellicle Cats (a possible spelling error)

I always love those Romantic moments. Not in the sense of love, but in the sense of the movement. Those spontaneous moments of true beauty found only in nature. I love those, perhaps becuase they happen so rarely these days. There's a way of looking at the world that's become less and less common. Just the ability to sit back and see something as being mind blowingly beautiful simply because of its very nature. For me its storms and blizzards...

...and apparently stray cats. I like cats. I like cats quite a bit and, generally, they like me. I was quite surprised last night when I came upon a small family of homeless cats living just outside the Burwash Hall residences on the Victoria College campus. A black cat, who I got the distinct impression was the father ("he" had this great dignity to him, like he was a lion in a street cat's body), a fluffy gray and white mother (who I seem to have given this slightly June Cleever-esque personality, I dunno why), and two kittens (a black and white that takes very much after the "father", and a fluffier gray and white that hangs around the "mother" most of the time). They're just...beautiful. Its the only way I can put it. I get the distinct impression the kittens are still "learning the ropes", so to speak. I really don't know just quite what it was about them, but they wowed me. So I ran back to my residence and grabbed my camera, and shot a good twenty or twenty five shots of them. Some are better than others (with no light and just a flash to work off of, most of the time the cats weren't in the center...plus they have glowing eyes thanks to the flash), but I'm really happy with them. I hope I see more of these cats. I've named them, as a family, after those weirdos portrayed by T.S. Elliot in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, and in the musical, Cats (which I am perhaps not so fond of, I just didn't enjoy it).

I think this is one of those urban epiphany moments. I'm still not sure why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home