Monday, November 14, 2005

Romantic Musings 9

I was going to respond to Blake, then I realized that last week I was supposed to directly respond to “Dejection: An Ode” by Coleridge.

So I’m responding to that instead.

It didn’t satisfy me. Most of it, at least. I found that it dragged on, and that dragging on meant that some of the really good lines or sets of lines were overshadowed by the weight of the poem. Stanza 6 is one of the redeeming qualities of the poem, though.

Stanza 6 speaks back to the Blake poem-essays I’m studying for my final paper. “My shaping spirit of Imagination” is a powerful and suggestive line, and really speaks to the Poetic Genius. This is shown as innate in the poet, but something that grief can strike down. This really speaks to me, not sure why.

But at the same time the stanza is defeated by the sheer density of the poem. Its just too weighty for me.

0 Comments:

<< Home