Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Romantic Musings 7

Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I haven’t read it since high school. It brings back fond memories. It’s a great poem, really fun, really evocative. Just beautiful.

It also brings back shameful memories of the horrible ballad I wrote for my high school English class. We shall not speak about it. It was written in Lotus Wordpro, and thus is untranslateable on this computer. We are all so very, very glad. I remember writing an 800 word essay on the occult imagery in the poem. I now understand that that essay was all bunk. All hokum. All bullshit. I was a lot stupider back in high school.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I studied it back in first year as well. I did not write a stupid essay on it, though. And very possibly second year as well. This poem is fucking haunting me!

It really IS a cool poem. The imagery is great, and the whole idea of it is really neat. I wish we saw more poetry like this today.