Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Ivy on the River Isis

As the Thames flows into Oxford it becomes the Isis, or so I am told. It runs through a town built around a university, a university considered to be one of the greatest, and most famous, of its ilk in all the world. It is called the City of Dreaming Spires, which to me sounds more like a Camarilla domain name, or a setting book for Exalted. It has educated and employed some of the greatest literary minds of our time. Tolkein, Lewis Carrol, T.S. Elliot, and many others.

And, if everything goes well (which it ought to), I shall be walking those very same streets this August as part of a University of Toronto "Study Abroad" program. They'll be housing us at Jesus College, and we get 3-day weekends and, barring fieldtrips, regular days of classes that end at noon.

I think I shall also use this experience to see the family. For those that don't know, I'm 2nd generation Canadian (well, 2nd and 3rd) on both sides of my family, with my relatives equally being from England and Wales. The last time I saw the family was back...oh back about 4 or 5 years ago. Its been a long time coming. I figure I'll maybe spend 2 weeks touring the country with relatives, and then bunk in at the residences we're using at Oxford and start with the schooling. The prof seems fantastic (well, he's from Victoria College, so of COURSE he's good (Yay Vic!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home