Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Travel Log (Vancouver 2005) #1

Arrived in Vancouver, from Toronto, on Saturday afternoon after a 5 hour flight. Got about 5 hours of sleep the night before, owing to the fact that, out of four power plugs in my room divided between two outlets, only two plugs work (one in each outlet), which meant that I had to play around to get my fridge to start working again, and similarly with the extension cord that my clock runs off of (so...y'know...I'd be able to get up in the morning). This was followed by a massive garbage and fridge cleanup. So I got to bed around about 4am.

10am saw me taking the TTC over to Pearson International for my 1:10pm flight. Got there almost exactly 2 hours early, and got my tickets with, get this...no lineup. There were no lines. For anything. Not even security. My plane was 45 minutes late because they were canceling other flights due to lack of passengers and funneling them on to MY flight.

Trip was...meh. It was 5 hours on a cramped plane. Movie was Ladder 51 (possibly 49, I can't remember), which as far as I can tell has no actual plot so much as just trying to say "firefighters are cool". Oddly enough, while it was billed on the plane as "John Travolta in...", Travolta is only a secondary character. I paid attention to the movie for about fifteen minutes, then went back to reading. Managed to finish The New Gods, Small Gods: Killing Grin, and Books of Magic: Life During Wartime. Small Gods was EXCELLENT, it was a good cop drama with a nice sci-fi twist (one person in every thousand has psychic powers). Life During Wartime was good, but a bit hard to follow at times...I think it really needs to have a prologue at some point, as it didn't satisfactorily explain just HOW and WHY things were happening. I am also happy to announce that plane food is still inedible.

Had a nice dinner when I arrived home of baked salmon, rice and brocolli casserole, caesar salad, and garlic bread. I also nearly passed out several times that night, but managed to stay conscious.

Sunday morning was uneventful, though I DID manage to pick up a really nice, carved wooden cane (picture forthcoming, but as a hint...its a Chinese-style dragon), a few DVDs (Batman: The Animated Series Volume 2, Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow, and The Bourne Supremacy). The BtAS discs will combine with my Superman discs to form a "World's Finest" marathon over at Vic in a week or two. Its gonna rock.

After much planning, JasonK managed to hook up with me on Sunday. He drove up from Seattle, and we hung out for most of the day. Pictures of him and the town of Coquitlam, Port Moody, Burnaby, and New Westminster will be forthcoming when I return to Ontario...along with a few good shots of Jason.

Showing Jason around Coquitlam very much reminded me of showing AlexanderLambert around Toronto. I felt like one of those cheesy food shows, you know...the ones with titles like "$40 a Day", "We Tour Canada!"...though without the coolness factor of "A Cook's Tour". Took him to Purdy's Chocolates, possibly the finest chocolatiers in all of Canada (URL forthcoming when I remember it). Also New Westminster Quay, with its fine selection of...well...almost everything.

Jason is, honestly, one of the coolest people I know. We spent HOURS just talking about our favourite RPG, Mage: The Ascension, comics, TV (mainly Kim Possible), and all sorts of other stuff. There was much amusing talk over the old New Bremen chats, Adventure! stuff, and much laughing over Gamma World.

He stuck around for dinner at one of the best Italian restaraunts in the Tri-City area (Dino's), then we went back to my place for some tea, then he left. All in all it was a good day. There will be pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home