Saturday, May 14, 2005

CSI

I find something very interesting about CSI. I take a great deal of enjoyment out of crime fiction...to a point.

I'm not big on mystery novels. I honestly lack the patience for reading 600 pages of how Old Missus Wilderburn realizes that the sweet young man who visited her at the nursing home was killed becuase he was in a complicated love triangle with the duty nurse and the star quarterback of his high school football team. There are a few that I can stand, but honestly I much prefer shorter, self contained mysteries like Sherlock Holmes.

I love Holmes. I have a special place in my heart for intelligent Victorian assholes who use their knowledge for the good of society, and Holmes fits that bill perfectly. I have a full paperback copy of The Illustrated Sherlock Holmes that has travelled with me for the past four or five years...possibly longer. I'm going to take it to Oxford with me. The stories are a bit wordy, but I quite enjoy them.

Similarly, I enjoy crime comics. There ain't a lot out there, but I like seeing cops in action in the pages of sequential art.

Finally...I like cop shows. Cop shows are, with a few exceptions, the ultimate episodicly-based TV show. Cop shows seldom have complicated arcs, and crimes seldom bridge from one episode to another. You can pick up the remote, flip in 15 minutes into an episode, and still be able to understand the plot.

But I also like clever cop shows. Ones where the investigators use their intelligence to figure out crimes rather than throwing some punk into the interrogation room and playing good cop/bad cop (though I also enjoy seeing that as well).

Which is where CSI comes in. Not only is it a show in which I can buy the second season, never watch the first, and already know everything I need to know, but its one that I don't have to pay a lot of attention to on the TV to enjoy...and its one where I can watch a few episodes, then go watch a more arc based show, like La Femme Nikita or The West Wing, come back to it two weeks later and not feel like I have to rewatch anything to get back into the groove.

I've got a bunch of cash on me, so I think I'm going to grab Bendis' crime comic, Jinx today. Get my crime fix on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home