Tuesday, May 31, 2005

My High School Reunion

My private school had an alumni reunion on Friday of last week. I got off work early at Sharkey's, so I decided to drop by. I'd RSVPed in advance, and I'd sort of promised the headmaster that I'd drop by, so I went.

It was at the Keg that I worked at, coincidentally, back when I was going to Maclachlan College. The reunion was small, and I didn't know most of the people there. There were a few that I did remember going to school with, as well as several teachers. Had good long chats with the headmaster, an intelligent and dignified fellow by the name of John Bailey, as well as the head of the upper school, John Ferguson, and with one of the owners of the school, Jane Hadfield. All good, and interesting, people.

There were two folks, however, who really interested me. One was a Mac dropout who was on very good terms with the school folks now. He's VP of a company that designs a piece of equipment/part for motorcycles, the name of which I can't recall. Thing is their offices are based out of Vancouver, and as some of you may, or may not, be aware my mother and step-dad are very big into sports bikes. So it was interesting to talk with this fellow, TJ, about motorcycles, and his experiences with them. Now, I grew up around motorcycles. Probably since I was 5 or 6. So I've picked up some stuff along the way. It made for good conversation.

The other one I had was with the husband of a former alumnus. I'm always happy to meet fellow British Columbians. Its my province of origin, and I feel a deep connection to it. Turns out that he's from a few towns over from me. We were born in the same hospital (though many, many decades apart). Same hospital my father was born in as well, lol. Mind that the Royal Columbian is one of only two hospitals in the Coquitlam-Port Moody-Port Coquitlam-Burnaby-New Westminster area (the other being Eagle Ridge). It's also on the main thoroughfare that runs through that area. Anyway, we had a good chat about relatives in various places....and I seem to have endeared myself to the fellow. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how. But he gave me a business card with his home number on it and told me to look him up the next time I was in Barrie and stop by. I may just do that.

All in all it was a very enjoyable night. I even had a pint of Rickard's Red, a great beer that I don't have that often. Had a good night, overall.

I think I'll go to the alumni reunion next year. There's one every year, for any alumni who feel like coming. Ought to be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home